Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sue from Alaska: Part One


I had forgotten the smell of printmaking ink and the feeling of running ink up and down a linocut.  I am so happy to be printmaking again.  Words can't explain how annoying it has been being away from creating a series of work.  I wanted to share my first print for this project.  It comes from Sue who currently resides in Alaska.  I have only completed the first layer so you will have to stay tuned to see the completed work.

I have decided to use the pages of notes that each participant mailed to me as my paper. That adds a touch of uniqueness to each piece.

On to the documentation of the process.

First, I drew Sue's face onto a linoleum block.



Then I carved away the first layer and printed her face on to the pages she sent me of a day in her life. Her favorite color is blue. There will be 3 shades of blue when the artwork is complete. And, the final step will be to sew the pages together to create one piece of paper.



I can't wait to see the final results! I will be sure and share them with you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the prints you make, Lauren. Good to see you back at it. Looking forward to seeing this project develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsey! I am happy to be back into the groove of printmaking. Now I just need to find more hours in the day to do it. (:

    ReplyDelete